Considering its elite status as one of Richmond’s real estate standouts, Cary Street Road, which runs for two miles between Cameron Street and Three Chopt Road, had a humble beginning as a Colonial-era trade route. But by the early 1800s, traffic was so steady that the General Assembly approved improvements on the roadway, after which it became a turnpike. (One of the original tollhouses still stands at the western edge of Carytown, albeit in modified form.) Its utility as a trade route diminished in the late 1800s, and in time, the farms along its length were replaced with country houses and summer residences. The arrival of the streetcar, which ran down nearby Grove Avenue until 1947, spurred a more intense round of residential construction on Cary Street Road, and by midcentury it had established its reputation as one of Richmond’s premier streets.