The James River has been a powerful draw for residential construction since Richmond’s founding, and the Stratford Hills community in South Richmond is no exception. Houses in the neighborhood, which runs south from the river to Forest Hill Avenue and east from Huguenot Road to Blithewood Drive, began popping up on the bluffs overlooking the river in the 1920s. The postwar construction boom (and the completion of the Huguenot Bridge in 1950) brought steadier development to the area, and most of the neighborhood was built out in the 1960s. (Infill lots are still available, though.) Architectural styles are wide ranging, including examples of Cape Cod, Ranch, Colonial and Contemporary.